Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Your Family's History Book~A Must Have


I hear so often how ladies think they have to have a special talent to make a scrap book and that is NOT true. If you think you are too busy to scrapbook, perhaps you could entrust an older child to do it for you? Or even let each child make their own book and let them do the journaling in it? Having something is better than having nothing recorded.

When I look at my grandmother's old pictures I know very little about them. I have a picture of my great-great grandfather and his 6 brothers (above). Oh, how I wish I knew their stories, anything about them. :o(

Scrapbooking is not only a hobby, it is an important skill to know. It is a way to record family history, special occasions, and everyday happenings.

Time passes so quickly and memories fade with it.

I set aside a week or so once a year and work on all my albums. I have an album for each of my children, actually they now have 2 albums each. I also have one album just for our Christmas pictures.

During the times that I do not have time to work on my scrapbooks I separate each child’s pictures into their own envelope and write the year on the envelope. This makes working on the scrapsbooks much easier.

Another thing I have been doing is running off copies of our family blog. I think this is a great way to journal and use photos at the same time.

Scrapbboking can run into a LOT of money if you’re not careful. Here are a few tips:

*Always shop sales. Hobby Lobby, Michaels and stores like that run 50% sales quite often. I always check the clearance rack at Wal Mart too.

*When shopping for stickers or decorated pages, try to keep in mind any special events that pictures were taken at. Don’t buy paper just because it is cute!

*Make your own die cuts instead of buying them.

*Rubber cement is safe for pictures and will go further than glue sticks.

*Keep all of your supplies in one place so you’ll know what you have.

*Color code your papers; put all the reds together, all the blues together, etc…

*Keep your good, acid free pens and markers away from the kids, and your decorative scissors too.

*If you are on a limited budget, keep it simple. The important thing is to get the pictures into safe albums and some basic journaling done so you will remember where and when the picture is taken. You can always go back later and add stickers (when you get them on sale) and add more details.

*Add as many pictures as you can to one page, this is the GREAT advantage of cropping photos!

*Scrapbook with a friend or a group of friends, you can share supplies and ideas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How right you are, Kathy. Photos without the stories behind them leave a huge void in our family histories. How wise of you to combine journaling with the photos. Your family will value your efforts for generations to come.

Tammy said...

Great ideas! I have a scrapbook started...with three pages. =) I need to pull it out again and start working on it!

Mrs. D said...

Kathy, I haven't commented before, but I really enjoy your blog!

I want to work on a family history scrapbook too. I received lots of old pictures from my grandma and plan on starting with the album soon. I try to get as much information from her as I can (she is almost 89) on the phone and save it in files on my computer. I also plan to scan the old pictures and give cds with the scans to my sister, my mother and my cousins.

There is a book on family history scrapbooking I really enjoyed: Scrapbooking your Family History by Betty Higgins.

Lots of greetings all the way from Germany!

Someone Beautiful said...

Hi! I loved the tip about fitting as many pictures as you can. I print them wallet size and usually have at least 9 pics per page (without cropping).

I need to tell my sad story though about rubber cemement. I made an album with rubber cement labled specifically for photos. I let them dry for half a day, and that must not have been enough. The page protectors all wrinkled and shrank from the chemicals! I haven't used rubber cement for the albums since, but how long do you let yours dry if you use page protectors?