Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Taking the Challenge

A few months ago I was approached about recreating an old quilt. This quilt may not be the prettiest looking quilt, but it is treasured by this family's 2 adult children. So for their Christmas gift this year they will both receive a replica of the original, 75 year old (perhaps older) quilt. After talking with several people at fabric shops and at our guild we have determined that it was probably made from men's boxers or PJ's. Quilting 75 years ago was a necessity, nothing was wasted. It is also a pattern that no one is familiar with. This quilt has some sort of upholstery, perhaps a drape that was used for it's inner layer (the batting), which makes it very heavy and warm! We agreed that we would stay in the same color scheme, but that it would be impossible to find fabric with the same prints. So I bought some fabric markers and drew in the designs the best I could.

Quilting today is an art, a creative outlet. You know it is BIG BUSINESS if you have looked at quilting fabric and the endless tools to make it easier! I LOVE my rotary cutter, I'm not sure I'd quilt if I didn't have one.

Pictured below is the original and then my replica, I still have one more to make.



<- On the left is the original. On the right is the replica. ->




Because the quilt is so sentimental to these adult children, I hope they will be THRILLED when they open these this Christmas. I hope they will be flooded with fond memories of their childhood under the original quilt, and enjoy MANY nights of warmth and comfort with their new quilt, with their own families. This is not anything that can be bought at a store, it is unique, it was created and given with a spirit of love. Quilting is not about making a blanket, it is about relationships, it is about love!

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh my soul! You did a fantastic job! I've never seen a quilt with this design. At first I thought it was a grandmother's flower garden, but then I realized it wasn't. What talent! I'm sure the people who receive it will treasure it greatly!

Kelly @ Growing.Learning.Playing. said...

What a great job! I am looking forward to the day when I can learn to quilt.

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

Thank you Tammy! You are very kind! I love your new look on your blog! I still can't get my comments through on there. :o(

~~~

Kelly,

You'll love quilting. We are hoping to be out with our instructional DVD after the first of the year.

Blessings!
Kathy

Tammy said...

Kathy, thank you! I just now saw this response. Have you tried leaving a comment lately? I changed the comments to allow anyone to comment. It should work? I can't comment on some blogs that are in beta. Some I can, others I can't. Weird. LOL

Anonymous said...

I am one of the adult "children" that received the quilt. I cannot say THANK YOU enough for taking the time to make such a wonderful gift for both my brother and me. As soon as I opened the bag, I knew immediately what it was!!! It was as if years had melted away! I sleep with it every night and have even taken it to work to show it off. Thank you again for all of your hard work!!