Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Sweet Sixteen!

My oldest daughter is 16 today! That sounds so grown up. She was the best behaved baby/toddler I had...so content, just happy to be here. As she grew everyone would always comment on how mature...grown up acting she was. She loved her dolls, always being a mommy.
Thankfully God has placed us in a church that has an abundance of babies, a church that embraces life, so she has one to hold each Sunday. Olivia has always had an easy time learning. She started reading at 3 and now will devour anything she can get her hands on. She excels in her studies. She has always seemed to love the things of God and has a gift of discernment, sometimes challenging me on something I'll say or do (not always a 'wise' thing to do! ;o/ ).

The flip side of being a 'good kid' is that it can foster an attitude of pride, self-righteousness. I see her struggle with it so often, and I know she hates it and has to really work on it...reckon why I see it so clearly??? Guess you could say she is a chip off the old block. But I know God will refine her, just has He keeps doing to me, but thankfully He is starting on her earlier in life than He did with me. :o)

Olivia's heart has always been to be a wife and mommy. When she was about 4 she told me she wanted to grow up and be just like me...oh my!!! those words will thrill you and terrify you at the same time!!!
When she was 11 or 12 she wanted a crock pot for Christmas...LOL. I received a few comments about that from other people, but I figured what was so wrong with that? It was what was in her heart, part of her dream of having a home and family one day, she loves to cook, every good cook needs a crock pot! I'd rather her ask for something like that than mindless electronics, rock Cd's, fashionable clothes and makeup. I'm thankful for her heart for the home.

Clothing is a funny issue with her! She has ALWAYS loved to dress like a girl. The thing is, she'd rather dress like a girl from the 1800's, and she could get by with it until she hit her teens, now she feels the pressure to conform to fit in...modestly of course. One day when she was 10 or so she said she'd wear her 'Little House on the Prairie' dress to Wal Mart if I let her...lol... She has begged me to make her a hoop skirt for years...this is where I have failed as a mother. :o( Though I did make the dress/hat and cake for her 5th birthday pictured below! :o)


So today, as I look at my baby girl and remember how much laughter and love she has brought into our lives, I thank God for her. I look forward to the days ahead, to see what God will do with her. If it be His will, I pray he will bring her a Godly husband, and bless them with many children, to carry out the Gospel to all the nations!
No matter what, I pray she will joyfully serve Jesus! After all...isn't that what life is about?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the best mother in the world!
Not perfect, but God knows, JUST WHAT I NEED!!!!
Her truly affectionate Daughter,
Olivia K.

BGK said...

She's a princess! I imagine you're proud of her. How talented.

Miss seeing y'all,
Anne