Sunday, March 9, 2008

If You Love Me

So what do you do with people that sum up their faith with, "Jesus loves me." People who have a hard time calling anything sin. These same people that strut around proclaiming their freedom in Christ. These same people often do not show humility and love towards others. They are quick to cast stones at others accusing them of being judgmental and self-righteous.

These verses come to mind:
What shall we say then?
Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?
Certainly not!
How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
Romans 6: 1-2

He who says,
“I know Him,”
and does not keep His commandments,
is a liar,
and the truth is not in him.
1 John 2:4


Jesus said,
If you love Me,
keep My commandments.
John 14:15

Now I understand that NONE of us keep His commandments perfectly, that is why we need the blood and His grace. BUT, we do strive to keep the commands. It's not so much about Him loving us, but our responsibly in LOVING HIM!

If I tell my child that I love them, then lie to them, steal from them, never feed them, give them none of my affection or time and never talk to them, I wonder if they would doubt my love for them? How can one call them self a Christian and treat Christ this way continually? It makes no sense.

Jesus was all about loving people. He was all about serving others, not just the 12 He liked the most. Jesus was all about humility. He did not go around stomping His feet and flexing his muscles commanding everyone to take notice! He did not reject true authority. His was a life of sacrifice, not demanding rights. If anyone had a reason to demand respect, it was Jesus!

Those that run around shouting "Jesus loves you", yet have no regard for loving their neighbor, honoring their parents, fleeing from sin and the appearance of sin, respecting God ordained authority, continue to lie, then I cannot help but to think that they don't understand the Gospel, and what being a Christian is all about!

It's NOT US! It's about HIM, it's about obeying and loving Him enough to love others!



No comments: