Thursday, April 19, 2007

His Mother's Pain?


This has been a sad week for our country due to the shootings in Virginia. I feel for those left behind, even more I feel for the shooter's parents. I don't know anything about them, but I doubt that their son's actions pleased them. Being the mother of a prodigal, I know the pain and humiliation that can come from your child's actions. I wonder how his mother is holding up? I wonder if she is a Christian and can rest in her Savior? Not only has her son done these things, but she is having to deal with his death. Can there be a deeper pain?

It is sad that whenever an a horrible crime happens people's first reaction is to play the blame game. It's the parent's fault, it's the schools fault, it's the rich kid's fault, it's the music's fault, it's TV's fault, it's the gun's fault and it goes on forever. I'm not saying that these factors do not contribute to a person's actions, but because a person chooses to commit a crime/sin, it is not necessarily someone else's fault. Look at Cain and Able, their parents actually walked with God in the garden and Cain committed one of the cruelest sins. Does Scripture tell us that it was his parents fault? Look at the story of the Prodigal Son. Does Scripture tell us that it was his father's fault? No, the Word says that his father was a righteous man.

The truth of the fact is, we live in a fallen world, full of sin. Each of us is responsible for our own actions. And apart from God's grace, we are all capable of the same sin as Cain. Blaming other people, taking away citizen's rights or making more laws, will not change anyone. Christ alone is the answer. Truly seeking Him and sharing Him with others is the only way to change our world. Sadly, the more our country moves away from God and His truth the more dangerous our surroundings will be.

Let's not only pray for those in Virginia, but let's remember the shooter's parents also, I can't imagine their pain.

1 comment:

Proverbs3122 said...

Kathy, that has been on my heart as well - his parents having to deal with the horror of what their son did. I cannot even imagine.