Friday, March 9, 2007

My friend Kelly has a neat post about how God Provides and the myth of the cost of raising children.

This is my comment to her:

In our home we are living on less than half the income we lived on 2 years ago. So far we still have running water, lights on and 2 cars in the driveway! :o) We do have to say 'no' more often to things we'd like to do and places we'd like to go. But the funniest thing is, I see the character in my children growing.

Yesterday we were with some other children (FINE Christian families) and when we came home my daughter commented, with a hint envy in her voice, on how 'so-in-so's parents buy this and that for their child.

In a nice way, I said, "And do you also notice how she treats people and acts?" (Because this other child is a royal stinker at times!) I'm not saying that is WHY this child acts this way, because we can all be stinkers when we want to be. And I also know, children that are told 'no' often can become bitter, if they want to constantly indulge the flesh. My point being is that 'stuff' does not make us happy.

Life really is pretty simple if we would quit looking at the Jones'. And to be completely honest, now that our children are getting older and working (with their dad) and getting paid (by their dad) they have become even a GREATER blessing to the home because they contribute and not just drain us. They know and understand the value to a dollar. They are looking at the community of our family. Yes it is hard, very hard at times, but I think in the end we will be so much better off.

I kind of feel like the family in Little Britches, they moved out to the west to start a ranch...back in the olden' days. ;o) Great book if you have never read it! We are not moving out to the west, but I feel like we are living on the frontier of learning to live and work as one unit, a family. Dad came home to work and we ALL make the sacrifices we need to, to be able to be together. I cannot imagine Dad being gone all day, the kids and mom gone in their own directions, doing their own things, coming together for a few hours and off again the next day.

Living as we do is scary at times. It can be very humbling not living life in the 'norm', but it is so good at the same time. I see how close our daughters are to their dad and it is beautiful. Their husbands will have mighty big shoes to fill.

Life is not about getting more! Yes, we LIKE having more, but that is not where our heart should be set. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God.

No comments: