Sunday, January 21, 2007

Quilted Placemats



One of my projects this past week was to make 6 quilted placemats for our kitchen table. I made these out of some fabric that I already had. I used a stipple stitch, which you can't see in this picture, but I LOVE the feel of it! I'd like to make a few different sets to change out for the different seasons/holidays. I like this yellow, it brightens up a dreary, cold January.


At our quilter's guild this week we had a class about hand quilting without a hoop or rack. I LOVE IT!!! I am practicing on a baby quilt right now. I'm also working on a couple sets of slippers I am crocheting.

4 comments:

BGK said...

I'd love to learn to quilt! These are beautiful!

Love,
Anne

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

Hey Anne!

Thank you for your kind words. I give quilting lessons, along with cake decorating and crochet. :o) We are in the process of making informational dvds.

As far as the baby quilt you commented on, sorry...no pattern, I just made it as I went.

Hope your baby is doing better!

Proverbs3122 said...

Ooo, ooo, ooo! The next quilt I do I want to quilt it without the hoop. I read about someone doing that and I thought, "Why do we think we HAVE to have a hoop?!" I'd already started my current project and didn't want to change methods mid-stream so I'm waiting til the next on. Did you quilt these placemats by hand or on the machine? I DON'T like machine quilting at all. Piecing is okay on the machine but not the quilting. I don't find it relaxing AT ALL!

Beautiful placemats!

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

Thank you Shelley,

I agree 100%, machine quilting is not enjoyable. I always feel like I need a day at a spa after finishing a quilt by machine. I don't like using a hoop either! But this way is WONDERFUL....so relaxing! I just finished quilting a baby quilt. It was a pre-printed one, but it was good to learn on.

I did the placemats on the machine because I wanted them stippled. I need to learn how to do a scalopped edge.

Always something new to learn!