Sunday, January 7, 2007

Grandma's Quilt


More Christmas Surprises in January!

We live in Alabama, my most beloved Grandmother lives in Upstate New York. Most winters she comes down to stay a few weeks and then a few weeks with her daughter (and families) in Virginia. She will be 83 in March. Today I gave her her Christmas gift (yes, a bit late).

She was VERY SURPRISED! She is a lady of few words, but even fewer at this point.

I gathered photographs from all of our family members and incorporated
them in a Memory Quilt. There are 5 generations represented in this.

At the center is her wedding photograph and on each side are aerial photos of their farm, one of them taken in the 1950's. She has 4 children and each corner is dedicated to each of them and their families. Of course I used her favorite colors. After appliqueing each picture I stippled it.

This was a very emotional quilt to work on. All the old photos...and memories of my Grandfather that I miss so much, who is sitting before the Throne of God right now worshipping. Then there are those 'strained relationships' that I think most families have. And then there are the hundreds of miles that separate most of us. It is difficult to have close relationships when there is so much distance. I hope that God wills for our children to live close enough to us to be an active part in their lives and their children's lives.

I hope Grandma will actually USE this, wrap herself for warmth in those cold New York winters and wrap herself with our love!





<

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post about your grandmothers quilt you lovingly made her is so sweet! The look on her face is beautiful! Such love for your family to do this. I wish I had some talent like that to make a quilt for my grandmoma. She would love it.

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

Thank you Christi. I enjoyed doing it. She has been here visiting and has kept it on her lap constantly.

Thank you again for your kind words.