Saturday, December 16, 2006

Olivia and Emma with Santa
note how happy Emma is to have her picture taken with him

Each year our Quilter's Guild host Santa in our cottage at Palisades Park.
You can drive through the park and enjoy the thousands and thousands of lights.

And no...we don't do Santa. :o) When Josh was about 4-5 years old, we were driving home from church (it was Easter time), and he said, "Mom, I believe in the Easter Bunny just like I do Jesus." My heart sunk!!! So we honest, God fearing, parents fessed-up to the truth about the Easter Bunny AND Santa, and we promised NEVER to lie to him (or the rest of the kids) again. I was responsible for taking the pictures tonight at the cottage. It was fun for the most part, but then I'd think about the disappointment these kids would one day have knowing that it was all a hoax! I remember when I was a kid and I 'figured it out', I was so sad. I felt cheated that my parents lied to me...and all for what? I don't criticize parents if they want to lie to their children, that is their business. BUT! The older I get the more silly it seems. hmmm Dad works like crazy to "buy a nice Christmas" (how's that phrase for an oxymoron?) and then we'll let little Johnny and Suzie think Santa brought it all...and why do we do this??? We tell them not to lie...and what do we do? How is that justified??? Does Scripture give an exception about lying when it comes to Santa??? We tell them that Santa can "see all that they do"...and why do we do this??? Why would we want to give Santa the same 'status' as Jesus being able to know if they have been good or bad??? But then we expect them to TRUST us...lol... Oh well...

1 comment:

Proverbs3122 said...

Amen, Kathy! Everything you said in this post is soooo true. I just cringe when I hear the "He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake." People think it's just an innocent thing, but we are lifting up an idol, giving him the attributes of God Himself. :-(chick