Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Our First 20 Years


Today is our 20th wedding anniversary.

As a young girl, I dreamed about what life will be like when I was older and what my husband would be like. What I dreamed of then, is NOT what I have now. IT IS BETTER! My husband gives me such unconditional love, such security. He treats me like a Queen…always! He has the heart of a servant and is always giving. He is faithful and hard working. He is so totally blind when it comes to me…or maybe he knows my faults (gasp!), but his love covers them, as it says in 1Corithians. Even when he is upset with me, he never speaks ugly words. When stormy times have hit and I become anxious, he has been the one to stand firm on the Rock and remind me that God has it all under control.

When I think of how God brought us together it amazes me, I never would have planned it that way! Ha!We started our marriage in sin and went about everything the wrong way, and we have suffered the consequences for doing so. It doesn’t matter if you are a Christian or not, God’s commands apply to everyone. When I look back over the past 20 years, it simply amazes me how God has slowly and tenderly shaped us and He is still conforming us to His image. We have many, many regrets, but isn’t that what life is all about, seeing our sin, our need for forgiveness, our TOTAL dependence on God? When I think of His grace poured out on me, on us, it is so overwhelming.

Though life is so different than I thought it was going to be when I was 18 (and how grateful I am for that!!!), it is better than I ever could have imagined! God’s path is beautiful. There are awful storms, but the bright sunny days out number them by far, as He leads us to Higher Ground, closer to Him.

Sometimes I wonder which one of us God will take first, I cannot imagine living life without him, and our children will tell you that he cannot live without me. I hope the Lord will give us another 20 years, plus another 20 together! We look forward to seeing our children’s children! No matter what, I know God’s love for me, for us, is greater than anything we can experience here on earth. May He be praised and glorified!

My heart over flows with rejoicing with whom God has given me to be a helper to…even if he does snore!

No comments: