Friday, February 9, 2007


This verse has been on my mind all day.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life,
to mind your own business and to work with your hands,
just as we told you,
so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders
and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

We have had several things happen this week that makes me just want to say, "HEY! I didn't sign up for all of this." But in reality God says it rains on the Just and Unjust alike. I am so thankful to have a Savior to run to, to give me comfort and wisdom. I also have more blessings than I can possibly count!

But back to the verse...

I long for a quiet life, to always be busy with my hands either creating or serving. If we are busy doing those good things with a humble heart, then and only then, can we stay out of trouble. I remember my teen years and my early years of marriage the HOURS AND HOURS I would spend on the phone with friends, shopping or just doing nothing. What a waste of time! I should have been busy learning, creating and serving. That idle time brought shame not respect to my reputation because I would usually fall into sin by talking about things I shouldn't (gossip).

We have a couple of family members that have made bad choices of what to do with their time and who they choose to be with. Because of that, it has caused a bit of chaos in our home this week. All I have been able to think is, 'What's wrong with wanting to lead a simple, quiet life?' I want to be busy with my hands, minding my own business and seeking to honor God.


So give me plenty to do and give me a simple and quiet life.

No comments: