Saturday, September 16, 2006


Another Step Higher

The Blessings of Family, Church and Community

This past July I discovered that I had an incisional hernia (I've had 4 c-sections and a tubal reversal). My first thought was how in the world are we going to pay for this? Jeff is the hardest working man I know and has been self employed for almost a year now and health insurance is out of the question at this time. The whole insurance issue is another story that makes my blood boil!

A Lesson in Humility
After sharing my health concern with a of friend of mine, Kelly, whom I go to church with, she shared it with a few others without me knowing. Though her motives were out of pure love, I was a bit humiliated that she had done that. I hated for anyone to know we were in need...yes...I know that is pride. I also didn't want anyone to think Jeff is not providing for us, because does. He works so hard and is so faithful. We know he is doing the right thing for our family by branching out and being self employed, but I'm hear to tell you, it is HARD! I know it will get better. We are learning a whole new meaning of walking by faith.

Good Samaritan Clinic
Another family at our church has a mother that is a director of a clinic. It is a Christian health clinic that provides medical care for the poor and uninsured (yes, that hurts my pride to say that too, though I do not consider us poor at all). It is almost a 2 hour drive to the clinic, but what a blessing it has been. I was prepared for the worse as far as attitudes. I expected to be treated as a "bum". I cannot begin to explain how well we were treated by EVERY receptionist, EVERY nurse, and the surgeon. The surgeon and doctors donate their services. The clinic is paying for the cat scan and hospital fees. EVERY appointment I have gone to when telling the receptionist that Good Samaritan sent me here, they would SMILE and act so happy to have me there. Never once have I had to explain our situation or questioned about money. Never once has it been implied that I was 'needy'. The whole Good Samaritan story of the Bible has a new meaning to me now.

Oh, Ye of Little Faith!
This past year our family has had a couple of hard blows, and I admit I have questioned 'why?'. When I found the hernia, I did ask 'Why God? We are trying so hard to be faithful, Jeff is working so hard." I dreaded telling Jeff about all of this because he already has so much on him. BUT I cannot explain the love I have felt from GOD as I have went though this. He DOES care for me, He WILL provide.

My surgery was Wednesday, it went smoothly. I've had a couple of rough days with pain and fever, but I am feeling so much better today. I have been so blessed by my church family with cards, flowers and meals. Our neighbors have brought meals. The Fire Dept. sent a beautiful plant, Jeff is a volunteer fireman. My mother came to spend a few days. My son who is out of town ordered a huge meal to be delivered to our door. My daughters have been holding down the fort and phone! And my favorite person on earth, my dear husband...being his usual self, attentive, loving, and protective. I hope I never have to live without him.

Mostly I am grateful to my Lord, who once again has brought me to higher ground, closer to Him. With each circumstance that comes along God strips away my pride and shows me how much I need Him. I do know Him more today than I did a few weeks ago.

1 comment:

Spunky said...

From one self employed self insured family to another, I feel your pain. God always provides for us though. It's my flesh that worries. But we've made it through every crisis. I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well. God is indeed faithful.