Friday, August 18, 2006

Crying out for More Children???

As I swooned with dizziness and nausea from my sixth pregnancy, my 6-year old son, in his childish excitement, asked, “Mommy, can you have twins? Because I can’t decide if I want a girl or a boy, so I just want both.” Able to manage a chuckle, I secretly thought, “What would I do with twins?” With five children between the ages of 11 and 10 months, I was in ready agreement with the statement I most often hear…“Boy, you’ve got your hands full!” And yet amid the nausea and overwhelming thoughts of even the slightest possibility of twins, the Lord gave me such a sweet revelation.

The Christian community is so wrapped up in “evangelizing” the nations. Tracts, revivals, youth missions, foreign missions, visitation teams, the list keeps going of all the tactics we are using to reach a nation for Christ. And I do not dare submit that any of those tactics are wrong or useless. However, I think they have become a hindrance to the primary method God intended to disciple the nations. We have completely missed the simplest, the most natural of all methods—raising godly children. Ironically, we fell hook, line and sinker for Satan’s ploy: “children are a hindrance”. He convinced us, very subtly, that we can’t effectively minister, or effectively “evangelize” through a career if we have a house full of children. Ironic, indeed, for children are God’s primary tool for evangelism!

With the acceptance of birth control by the general population, Christians, too, assumed that to control a God-ordained event was perfectly OK. And in so doing, they began to refuse God’s blessings, and worse still, prevent the lives of thousands of disciples from being born. I believe it is no little thing, this taking into our own hands the sacredness of life and treating the decision with such flippancy. When God created the human body, he designed its function EXACTLY the way He wanted it to operate. Kidneys, liver, lungs, heart—there is not another organ of the body that humans violate by destroying its natural function. The reproductive system is the only one.

Back to God’s evangelical design….as I contemplated twins, I was prompted to think about the ability of one couple to raise up a godly generation. So I did some math. The following is the astonishing conclusion I found:

If one couple has two children, and all of the following children have two children, in five generations, there will be 32 children.

If one couple has eight children, and all of the following children have eight children, in five generations, there will be 7,776 children!

Provided that the couples have raised their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, that is more evangelizing than any church is capable of! That is 7,776 voters for President, homosexual laws, abortion, etc. That is 7,776 children parenting yet another generation where the numbers become astronomical. That is 7,776 children who are growing up to be godly leaders of this nation, to make up the moral fabric of society, to be America. And as a reminder, that is just one family!!!

So as I contemplated God’s design, fully confident in our conviction to allow the Lord to control our family size, I smiled at the thought of twins. In fact, I whispered a quiet prayer…”Lord, give me more children, more soldiers for Christ, and may I be faithful to turn their hearts toward You!”

Kelly Crawford
http://www.heartsforfamily.com/CryingoutforMoreChildren.html
This is something a friend of mine wrote, I just love it!

1 comment:

Arlene said...

Can I say a lady-like "amen" to this! :P Shortly before we married, my husband and I felt convicted that if God is to be sovereign in our lives as husband and wife, we needed to make Him sovereign in EVERY area... including the area of how many children we should have. Thanks for posting this article! :)