Sunday, May 21, 2006


What are We Advertising?

Many years ago there was a family that I admired from a distance. They were a larger than 'normal' family (I think they have 10 or 11 now). When I saw them in public they were ALWAYS dressed neatly and modestly, the children were ALWAYS well behaved, but what I admired the most about them was that they were ALWAYS smiling and kind. My heart longed to be like that, not knowing that the key to it all was Jesus as Lord. I just knew I wanted to have what they had!!!

Since then God has given me the privilege to meet them and get to know them a little. They are not perfect, as none of us are, but they do strive to walk in obedience to God.

Whether we admit it or not, our actions, our words and our appearance are advertising. We are telling the world what we believe.

This morning I was thinking; What am I advertising about my role as a wife and mother? What am I saying with my attitude, my actions and my words towards my husband? Am I really honoring him? Am I walking the walk so that my daughters will honor their father and future husband? I tend to think I am so much more spiritual than he is, smarter than he is, second guessing his decisions (BOY! Pride is ugly!). According to God's word I am blaspheming GOD's Word (Titus 2). May God grant me forgiveness and mercy. I need to be 'advertisting' to others that marriage is wonderful!!! Not easy, but all the same, wonderful! I need to be 'advertisting' to others that my husband has my respect, not beacuse of us, but to bring glory to God.

This also goes into the areas of mothering. Am I 'advertising' to my children they are loved with the actions and words I use, or do I treat them like they are imposing on MY time? Am I 'advertising' to them that Motherhood is a high calling and to be desired? They are a gift from God!

What about appearance? Modesty is important. Do I dress in a way that is defrauding to others? Do I allow our daughters to look sensual just to be fashionable?

The list goes on and on. I don't intend for this to sound legalistic, at the same time Godliness is important. Let's *advertise* of Christ and ***His ways*** without even saying a word. Let's show a lost and dying world that God's ways are RIGHT, and GOOD! That HIS ways bring peace and joy, no matter what the circumstances. That God does bless obedience. Let's put our selfishness aside, SHOW our husbands honor and respect. SHOW our children love, even when it means putting aside all the things "we" want to do today.

The world is watching...what are we advertising?

Titus 2: 4-5so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.

No comments: